Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Volume 10 - Pawn Shop

This review is gonna be on Volume 10 - Pawn shop. Alot of you have no idea who I'm talkin about. So I'm gonna give you a little knowledge before this one just so ya know what your dealin with:

"Part of Los Angeles' Heavyweights Crew, which included Freestyle Fellowship, Medusa, and Ganjah K, Volume 10 was part of the West Coast's vibrant underground rap scene in the '90s. Like many Los Angeles MCs, Volume 10 honed his skills during battles at the Good Life Cafe, but set himself apart as an MC able to balance both thuggish violent imagery and skill-heavy open mike styles. After a guest spot on Freestyle Fellowship's Inner City Griots in 1993, he released his debut full-length, Hip-Hopera. The album spawned a hit single, Pistol Grip Pump, which would later be covered on Rage Against the Machine's Renegades. 10 also appeared on the Project Blowed compilation in 1995, considered by many to be one of the underground's defining moments. A second solo CD, Psycho, appeared in 2000 on 10's own Pump Productions."

Due to the fact this album hasnt even been released yet. I cant be too exact on the Production but I know most of it was handled by Bionik of beat science. So now that I've got you up to date on this cat I'll jump right into this same as always. Track by track

_____

1.Aint Talkin Bout Shit
This is a great way to start of any album. A Great bangin beat with some nice keys and drums it just bounces along beautifully. Volume comes nicely on this track and shows of a little of both sides of his style a little gangsta a little battle rhymer as he raps about "nothing". He just makes up some nice bullshit rap about all the things he has and how hard he is in a mokcery of all the Bling bling rappers. Nice track and 10's flow is great.

2. Skate F/ P.E.A.C.E of Freestyle Fellowship
Now to start off i should say had this been the first track i probably would have just deleted the album but the first one actually made me pay attention to this. I'm happy I did. The beat comes off like 90% of the crap on the radio it's not bad its just very commercial sounding the hook is also pretty commercial sounding. HOWEVER Volume 10 and P.E.A.C.E Kill it they both hit the mic hard and do a great job over this fast paced beat. They are basically tellin other cats not to F*%k with them basic concept but a good song!

3. Ghetto Children F/ P.E.A.C.E of Freestyle Fellowship
When this track starts out your givin the hook and man does it suck! its Volume singing and man does he suck at singing! the rest of the song is pretty nice as they rap about life as a kid in the ghetto. The beat is simple but nice. P.E.A.C.E makes another solid appearance and i quote "Mary J shoulda been on this one" I couldnt have put it better myself. Other then the hook this song ain't bad but holy fuck does the hook suck!

4. Gangsta is as Gangsta Does
This is the side of Volume i dont like that much. I've never been a fan for "gangsta rap" i dont understand the whole concept of being proud of something which in essesnce is a plague on society's but anyway Volume raps about being a gangsta (surprised?) the beat is very simple with a heavy Kick and some weird synth behind it it works nicely for the track. not bad overall

5. Suga Wuga
The beat on this track is pretty cool its a very repetitive beat with some nice female vocals sampled in the back. Volume goes a lil different on this track he lays it down nicely but it's not his standard flow and he's constantly changing it up. The best part of this track is he speaks the chorus and a childs voice is sampled over it saying the same thing (think Common - Watermelon). The whole song is about his child and he does a great job on it. Definatley one worth checkin out.

6.Pawn Shop
The title track doesnt dissapoint at all the beat reminds me of something Illmind would do with some nice keyboard and a mix of other instruments and good use of samples. 10 does a great job of spitting on this track and he RIPS it up then slows it down its a a great listen. I Slept on this track a bit and havent really had alot of time to analyze the lyrics but i believe whats he's gettin at is his little known status in rap.

7.Peeka-Boo
Petey Pablo anyone? no he's not on this track but if they did a remix with him I wouldnt be surprised at all the beat instantley made me think Petey Pab although it sounds kinda nice is not my choice. Volume 10 does a good job on this I guess but I dont like it that much the beat kinda makes me feel sick.

8.Jubilate
I don't even care what this song is about the beat is a shitty attempt to sound like a producer made it as opposed to a 9 year old on his computer. really shitty song. Volume 10 sounds like crap the hook makes me want to beat him senseless and it upsets the nice flow the album had going. SKIP IT!

9.Zeke
Ok I've been waiting to get to this one. Its fuckin DIRTY!! The beat is alot like Peter Frampton talking through his guitar repeated with a nice simple drum beat. Now here is the part I can't believe. Volume 10 comes with the LAZIEST FLOW EVER! It's like he weighed 450lbs and just ran up a flight of steps only better (haha i dont know how else to discribe it). With 10's flow over top of such a weird beat this track is killer!!! It alone makes this album almost worth the money and definatley worth a download. The song as far as I can tell is about a friend named zeke and him and the shit they did. Please check out this track this is the only place you'll hear something like this!

10. Donky Donk
Ok here is a track for the guilty pleasures thread. The beat sounds like something off of a 50 album and somehow 10 sounds completely different his voice becomes all nasally and weird. For some reason tho i really enjoy this song the hook sounds hilarious and as far as i can tell its all about ass. I know better then to like tracks like this but im sure it will grow old soon.

11. Happy
This song has been buggin me for days as I cant figure out the beat I know its an old rock song with some drums added and I know I've heard it I wanna say Zepplin but somehow it doesnt seem right anyway it sounds real nice. 10 comes nice on this track and gets his Hendrix on in the hook. A nice change up on his part and gives a nice balance to the album after previous tracks.

12. Family Tree
Okay so ya know how earlier I said 10 shouldnt sing? That isnt always true. The beat is fantastic and has a bit of a Dr Dre feel to it. The way 10 sings\raps over this beat is great another very original track which gives some understanding to why he is as respected as he is, or at least was before the world forgot about the Heavyweights crew! To be honest I've listened to this track many times and everytime I think I understand what he's talkin about he says something that throws me off but I'm pretty sure he is talking about god and family. If I'm wrong my apoligies for misinforming you. Like I said great track.

13. Good Life
I didnt think it was possible but this song actually manages to Suck & Blow at the same time. 10 sounds very good over it but the beat sounds unfinished and messy. The hook sounds like absolute garbage and brings back the whole Volume 10 shouldnt sing comment. The funny thing about this track is that he's talkin about how great his music is. Its enjoyable Irony! Everytime I listen to it it does kinda grow on me (3rd listen since I started reviewing the track) but the hook just kills it I mean its not a good song by any means but the rhyming and flow are pretty on point regardless.

So there is my review for Volume 10 - Pawn Shop. By no means is this album a classic there are a few tracks that should not be on any album,mixtape or webpage but despite it's weak points i still enjoyed this album and some of the originality displayed by Volume 10 is responsible for making it as enjoyable as it is. i wouldnt reccomend this album to everyone but i think everyone should get there hands on "Zeke" that track is Fantastic. Anyone wants the one song lemme know i'll hook you up over MSN. Volume 10 has been fairly entertaining over the years and has always had great presence on the mic. This album is no different and makes for a nice listen when ya wanna switch things up a bit.

Overall 7.2/10

Comments???

1 comment:

Abu Hanif said...

Very informative article. We repairs all types jewelry. We offer Quick in store service. Great thanks!